Monday, December 31, 2007

One more

The traditional end of year list post I'm afraid. My top ten records that I got this year should be up soon on the Oxford Improvisers site. In the spirit of Alexander Hawkins cheating by mentioning all the records that didn't get into his top ten, and the fact I've just bought quite a lot of music that didn't make this year's list but is obviously ineligible for next years list, honourable mention must go to Blind Willie Johnson, Kevin Drumm and Grinderman.
And for the lists:

Gigs of the year (I've allowed myself three because they were all so different):

Cecil Taylor/Anthony Braxton/William Parker/Tony Oxley [RFH, London, July 8th]

Prince aftershow [IndigO, London, September 9th]

Luigi Nono
, La lontananza nostalgica futura utopica, performed by Irvine Arditti & Andre Benjamin [QEH, London, October 31st]

Book of the year: Herman Melville, Moby Dick - and honourable mention for Alan Moore's utterly astonishing graphic novel From Hell

Exhibition of the year: Callum Innes, From Memory, Modern Art Oxford

That's it I think - see you next year!

No comments: