Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Maladjustment

Don't know why I'd never heard of this speech before (which MLK delivered in a number of versions over a decade), but I saw this excerpt in an Adam Curtis documentary I watched last night:

"Modern psychology has a word that is probably used more than any other word in psychology. It is the word "maladjusted". It is the ringing cry of modern child psychology. "Maladjusted". Now of course we all want to live a well-adjusted life in order to avoid neurotic and schizophrenic personalities. But as I move toward my conclusion I would like to say to you today in a very honest manner that there are some things in our society and some things in our world to which I am proud to be maladjusted. And I call upon all men of good will to be maladjusted to these things until the good society is realised. I must honestly say to you that I never intend to adjust myself to racial segregation and discrimination. I never intend to adjust myself to religious bigotry. I never intend to adjust myself to economic conditions that will take necessities from the many to give luxuries to the few, leave millions of God's children smothering in an airtight cage of poverty in the midst of an affluent society."

And here's the man himself delivering it. Now that's oratory.

No comments: